Girls Inc. Girls’ Bill of Rights
More than 25 years ago, Girls Inc. codified our Girls’ Bill of Rights, outlining certain truths we believe are fundamental. It is our mission–now and always–to support girls and to ensure that their rights are recognized and respected.
Girls’ Bill of Rights
- Girls have the right to be themselves and to resist gender stereotypes.
- Girls have the right to express themselves with originality and enthusiasm.
- Girls have the right to take risks, to strive freely, and to take pride in success.
- Girls have the right to accept and appreciate their bodies.
- Girls have the right to have confidence in themselves and to be safe in the world.
- Girls have the right to prepare for interesting work and economic independence.
Girls Inc. serves girls who need us the most. 57% live in households earning $30,000 a year or less. 81% of the girls we serve identify as girls of color. At the heart of Girls Inc. is a comprehensive approach to whole girl development conceived based upon the rights we outline above, which equips girls to navigate gender, economic, and social barriers and to grow up healthy, educated, and independent. This approach—the Girls Inc. Experience—is the foundation of the Girls Inc. mission and programming, and engages girls in opportunities and activities that develop skills and instill leadership characteristics. Find a Girls Inc. in your area today or donate to support our mission!